Thursday, March 14, 2013

Library Love


This morning, I'd like to talk a little about my absolute love for the library. Some of my most cherished childhood memories include exploring my school libraries, and as I got older, the intimate historic library located in the small town where I lived just outside of Asheville.

I have to admit these days I'm a little spoiled. The Charlotte Mecklenburg Library has 20 branch locations, so even if a book I want to read isn't at the branch closest to me, I can request it easily online and it will usually be ready for me within two weeks. They even have a selection of e-books available for download, and I'm slowly learning how to navigate through that system as well.

I've tried to teach my kids the value of using our library system as a resource. They get excited when they discover movies and books they've been looking for on the shelves. We have a great time making our monthly trips to the library and always come out loaded down with selections.

On March 21, the Charlotte Mecklenburg Library will be operating with special hours as part of a national "EveryoneOn" campaign to promote digital literacy. Charlotte was chosen as one of five launch cities for the initiative, along with Philadelphia, Los Angeles, Chicago, and Macon, Ga. On this day, in addition to the basic library services offered every day, all Charlotte Mecklenburg Library locations will offer programs and activities that support digital literacy, plus $5 fine waivers. These activities will include one-on-one technology help, exploring the Library's resources, instructional video clips and library card sign-up.

EveryoneOn is a national public awareness campaign by Connect2Compete, a national nonprofit supported by the Knight Foundation. Connect2Compete aims to raise awareness of free digital literary training and Internet access opportunities throughout the US.
We often frequent North County Regional, Davidson and Cornelius locations. What is your favorite branch library in the Charlotte Mecklenburg Library system?

No comments:

Post a Comment