Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Goodbye Summer; Hello School

Supplies. Books. New teachers and backpacks. It's official: summer is over, and school is back.

I know many moms who feel this day could not have come soon enough. For me, the change is bittersweet. Don't get me wrong - I can't think of a day where for at least 10 seconds I haven't wanted to pull my hair out. Entertaining your kids and lacking structure can challenge even the strongest of us. But on the other hand, the lack of structure, the absence of alarm clocks and the simplicity of choosing each day for itself can be a thing of beauty.

When I had just a young baby, I remember hearing from others - you know, since everyone is always willing to give you unsolicited advice re: parenting - that when your kids get into school, the years fly by. They couldn't have been more right. And for me, each passing summer now means they are another year older, another grade higher.

School does amazing things for kids. Education is just the beginning; the other aspects that are taught and learned are, in my mind, irreplaceable. And ironically enough, as I write this, I've had my office door open 3 - scratch that, now 4 - times, my kids, of course. My little one was just requesting a kiss ... and for that matter, they can open my door and prolong summer for as long as they want. But for now, we'll say goodbye to the swimming pool and instead replace it with recess and after school activities, and save the fun for the weekends.

Good luck with sending your kiddos off and here's to a super school year!

1 comment:

  1. Well, neither of my kiddies are school age yet. We have year round vacation here. lol

    ReplyDelete