Monday, August 15, 2011

Uh-Oh Theater - Serious Fun for Little Ones!

I had no idea what to expect out of Uh-Oh Theater. I mean, how well can a 0-3 year-old actually engage in theater?

I was invited to a show today at ImaginOn, one that is running all week long. And I highly suggest it to any of you with little ones ages 3 and under.

I thought about taking the baby (he's almost 5 months) but opted to just take my newly-turned 3 year-old daughter for some quality time together. We arrived right before the show where there was a little interactive area for the wee ones. Then we entered in to the intimate area set up for us. There were three couches and some pillows along the floor; I'd say there were 30-some of us here for the play, and we all picked our seats which were literally right in front of the stage (set on the floor). With easy entry and exits, an engaging scene in front, my little one was engaged from the get-go.

For 30-40 minutes, the kids were entertained with lights, sound and music as Meredith and Mark (a husband and wife team - don't worry, you'd never know it unless you read their bios) who used fabric, instruments, a fan and more. Honestly, I thought they were like two grown two year-olds playing by the way they interacted. The kids thought they were fantastic. Little squeals were intertwined with giggles or a random "look there!" or "it's a cat!". There was one little girl in particular who chose to walk on the stage during the performance and use some of the props. Not to be disturbed by the little audience member, the duo simply let her be and at one point let her engage in their "play".

For the last 10 minutes, the rest of the kids were able to go onto the stage to try their arm at acting. My little girl took the props and did what she'd seen - for instance, she took the same chinese fan and walked around fanning the audience. I was amazed at all that she retained!

So ... back to my original question. How long can a child 3 and under be engaged in theater?
Actually, when the show is created for them, they'll sit the whole time. And they'll even ask for more.

Check out one of the shows this week, put on by The Children's Theater of Charlotte. Or find out more about PlayPlay! Theater by clicking here.

1 comment:

  1. That's my little girl! A props player.... We brought my 12 week old as well and he seemed to enjoy it. He stared at everything going on and didn't cry!

    ReplyDelete