Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Amazing Animal Stories


This is Sonic. We adopted him from a rescue center almost three years ago. I like to describe him as a "grumpy old man in a puppy's body." He has lots of energy, but if he's taking a nap, don't mess with him. And don't even think about ignoring his requests for two walks a day (one at promptly 9 a.m., the other around 4:30 p.m.) If you don't comply with his orders, you will be stalked until you do.

All kidding aside, I love this little ball of fur. He helped me heal from the loss of my 16-year old dog, Odie, and he's definitely stolen my heart, even when he passive aggressively lets me know he's not happy with me. You decided to leave me at home alone while you ran errands? Oh, I think I'll just get sick on the rug!

Miraculously, for a small dog, he doesn't bark much. We actually thought something might be wrong with his vocal cords when we first brought him home. He waited several days before he finally barked, and then we were relieved! One day, about a year ago, I had returned from a morning run. I was stretching in our living room when Sonic started barking. The bark sounded urgent, which was very unusual. At first I ignored it, thinking Sonic was looking through a window at the front of the house and barking at someone outside. He persisted. Finally, I walked into the foyer only to spot Sonic standing in front of a black snake slithering across the floor!

To make a long story short, the snake was a harmless baby snake, but madness ensued. I panicked and called my husband at work. The snake spotted me and slithered into my office, of all places. It hid behind a basket of magazines (I vowed then and there I needed to get my magazine hoarding under control). We managed to get the snake out of the house and took it to some nearby woods, and I let Sonic know what a good job he had done.

Here at Little Ones, we're working on putting together our June/July issue, which features pet love. We'd love to include stories such as these from our readers. Has your family pet alerted you to an intruder? Found an unwanted critter on your property? Sensed a medical problem with a family member? Please leave your amazing animal story in the comments section of this post, and you might be featured in our next issue! We can't wait to hear from you.

--Renee

No comments:

Post a Comment