Monday, July 11, 2011

Cook with your Kids: Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins (semi-healthy!)

My kids love to cook, and frankly, so do I. It's a great activity to do together and I always try to sneak in some sort of lesson (healthy eating/math - in regards to the measurements/etc.)

Yesterday I was at our local grocery store with my eldest and asked her what we should make this week. At that moment, I glanced over and saw some chocolate chip muffins - you know, the humongous kind that probably have 800 calories and 30 grams of fat in one - and suggested we make our own. It didn't take too much arm twisting to get her to agree!

I researched some recipes and came up with my own, which is pretty healthy. We just finished baking and trying them and the votes are unanimous ... this recipe's a keeper! 

Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 egg
1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 mashed ripe bananas
3/4 cup milk chocolate chips

1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking soda and baking powder.

2. In a separate bowl, mix the egg, applesauce, yogurt and vanilla.

3. Make a well in the dry ingredients and mix the wet into the dry.

4. Fold in the bananas and chocolate chips.

5. Fill 12 greased muffin tins about 2/3 full (we used cupcake liners) or until all batter is used.

Bake at 350 degrees for 23'ish minutes (or until a toothpick comes out clean); cool for 5 minutes before removing and enjoying!

** If you prefer, substitute 1/2 cup oil for the applesauce. I personally always use applesauce instead of oil, but that's a personal thing.  Oh, and I also use unsweetened applesauce.

***If you want to help your chocolate chips not fall to the bottom, coat them with flour.

Have fun and enjoy them!!

No comments:

Post a Comment