Friday, July 1, 2011

Good cookies; great cause

Oh, wow. I had the honor of being one of the judges for the Cookies for Kids Cancer cookie contest today, and let me just tell you how difficult the decision was! But first let me tell you about the contest:

Stomp, Chomp & Roll, who owns Mama Fu's (Cotswold), Moe's at Northlake Mall, Flying Biscuit (Stonecrest & Cotswold), The Pizza Peel and Monkey Joe's (Park Rd.) teamed up with our local Cookies for Kids Cancer team by soliciting cookie recipes. Out of all of the entrants, seven sweet treats were chosen to bring the goods down to The Flying Biscuit in Cotswold where I was joined by 7-year-old Grier Christenbury (Cookies for Kids Cancer Representative), Kathleen Purvis (Food Editor for The Charlotte Observer) and Lisa Frame (Mommyality). Our job? Tasting and commenting on the oh-so-delicious final products.

We judged on appearance, creativity and (natch) taste while also providing comments.



Let me first say I am a true chocoholic, but I wanted to give each option a fair chance.
Lucky for me, most of the cookies included some type of chocolate. Most also required a few tastes, just to be sure (of course!)

The second place winner was a close runner-up in my book; the Old Fashioned Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie had chunky peanut butter and lots of chips ... it was the perfect texture!  But the Millionaire Shortbread won by a landslide. Soft shortbread, topped with a layer of caramel and finally a layer of thick, creamy chocolate was to die for.

The Millionaire Shortbread will be sold at all Stomp, Chomp & Roll restaurants through September 30 so you can go try one yourself! And the best news?  ALL proceeds will go to Cookies for Kids Cancer.
So go try one (or a few) out for yourself; I promise you won't be disappointed!

Grier Christenbury, one of the other judges

No comments:

Post a Comment