Saturday, July 30, 2011

Guilt be gone: accepting help from others

One of the things the experts (books and such) always preach is accepting help when you have a new baby. Well as time goes on, most of us assume that we need to figure it out and get it all done alone.

I've been good with this up until recently. I was a pro at having 3 kids - but with 4, and I'm guessing for those who have kids that are more spaced out, it's really just not possible to give each the attention they deserve in the situations you find yourself in.

In prior days, I didn't understand why someone would get sitter for one (or two) of their children just to take a different one somewhere. Why wouldn't they all go together, I wondered? Now I get it. And I'm trying to accept this newfound knowledge.

My husband was away for 3 days and it's just me myself and I to handle the kids, which is fine. But this morning, for instance, we had a pool party to attend. Why on earth would I think I could take them all and realistically have a good time? Thankfully I was smart enough to know this was not possible. Though one side of me was chirping in that I could do it, I knew that we ALL would have a better time leaving the baby at home with a sitter. And boy, was I right. He got his morning nap in, we got our morning swim (and cake, ice cream and chips) in. I got to swim with my girls and he avoided the swim (what 4 month-old really loves a swim, anyhow?)

Bottom line - don't feel guilty about getting help for one of your kids (or even two) so that you can go take the other to a party, to soccer practice, to a baseball game, or wherever. In the long run, you'll all benefit from it. I know that we certainly did!

No comments:

Post a Comment