Saturday, July 16, 2011

This mom can make art!

My kids love art, especially my middle daughter. We're constantly creating stuff at our house, but it's pretty much the same old basic stuff: stringing pasta, cutting up construction paper and coloring. 

Doing art with my kids is actually one of my favored activities ... but the reality is that I am generally just assisting them in their endeavors. So recently I saw a posting about the adult workshops at Small Hands Big Art and was intrigued. A Thursday evening with no kids - a time to go be creative. Me, creative. Why not?! I had no idea what fun I was actually in for.

The workshop I signed up for was a decoupage class. The description said we'd decoupage a whimsical collage on wood with patterned paper, fabric, ribbon and mod podge.  I was most interested in the mention of a growth chart; how fun, I thought! None of my kids have a growth chart and they are always measuring themselves. If you're thinking this sounds tough, think again.

There were 8 of us in the class Thursday night. Studio owner Jennifer Bryant was accompanied by Hannah Naish. Together, they gave in-depth instructions on putting together our masterpiece. We'd first come up with a concept. Lucky for some of us (me) they had lots of samples of what we could create (read: copy). Some had come with an idea in mind; I simply wanted a fun growth chart to put in my youngest daughter's room. I was going to use a shabby chic design with her room colors in mind. I used one of the examples and built upon it to make it my own.

We selected fun pieces of paper, ribbon, buttons and more and laid out our individual designs. Our instructors helped us modify,  create or whatever else we needed in the process. During this time, we met others, noshed on snacks and some drank wine. Lets see - wine, chocolate and creating with no one hanging on our legs ... what a recipe for success!


photo by: Alison Bella Photography
photo by: Alison Bella Photography
The beauty in this was that everyone had a different vision in mind and each came out with a different piece in the end. The end results? Gorgeous. Really, you can't get personalized pieces like these that have meaning behind them. The cost of the evening was $40. And for that price I took home a priceless creation, a tremendous feeling of satisfaction and inspiration to make more with my kids. 

My finished creation
Not all of the adult workshops have the same theme. Once a month Small Hands Big Art holds these events; last month was "colorful watercolor on stretched canvas"; next month is "hand-carved rubber stamps". Oh, and you get a discount when you sign up for multiple workshops. What a win-win! 

If you're looking for a little "me" time, a girls night out or just a chance to let your creativity flow - I'd highly suggest checking one out. You will love it!



No comments:

Post a Comment