Friday, June 17, 2011

CAVES to open at The Schiele Museum

After viewing a successful exhibit called Pirates! last year, I was super excited to get a sneak peak at CAVES which is opening tomorrow (6/18) at The Schiele Museum in Gastonia. I visited yesterday as they were putting the finishing touches on CAVES and can't wait to take my own little ones back.

My kids have enjoyed visits to the permanent exhibits at the museum in the past, but these temporary ones always keep it exciting with new and different things to learn about. As I entered in, with Amy Ballard as my tour guide, I pictured my kiddos going through and navigating the deep, dark cavernous environment.

Created completely in house with Tony Passour at the helm of the project, CAVES showcases 40+ animals including fruit bats, a baby owl, baby bobcats and more in a climate-controlled, sensory-loaded atmosphere. Yes, one of the caves is a mere 56 degrees and you'll hear water dripping and see it as well, making you feel completely immersed in the subject. Kids can enjoy interactive games, dress up opportunities, daily spelunker tours and even mini caves to crawl on and through.

"Some museums take advantage of traveling exhibits," says Passour; "we found that we can produce an exhibit of a lot higher quality for a lot less cost. We've recycled components of Pirates! and it's allowed us to be selective of the content. We were able to tailor it completely to our guests."

"Being in something really helps people learn," he concludes. I couldn't agree more. Both boys and girls will really enjoy this interactive exhibit, which opens tomorrow (June 18).  It's an outing that is definitely worth taking!

3 comments:

  1. Good stuff! So good, I'm planning a trip with the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kiddos have declared this week, "Museum Week!" We are adding this to our to-do list. Thanks so much for sharing. Can't wait to go!

    ReplyDelete