Sunday, June 19, 2011

A tribute to Father's Day

We all have memories of our childhood, and nothing is more special than those shared with our moms and dads. In honor of Father's Day, I wanted to touch on one that I remember about mine.

I can't remember exactly how old I was, but I'm thinking it was around 13 or 14 - a tough age for any female, and that much tougher for the parents of. My dad was always very in tune with me and knew my personality well ... and truthfully, I've always been a bit (ok, a lot) Type A. Anyhow, it was for my birthday, again, my 13th or 14th, and my dad had this poem framed for me. Actually, he typed it out and signed it and had it matted and framed. At the time, I didn't understand it much; it was a strange gift in my mind, but somehow it resonated with me. I knew that it came with so much meaning, and yet I didn't quite understand why.

That piece went to college with me; it went to grad school with me. And when I moved to Charlotte, it came with me again. I'm sorry to say that I can't put my finger on it now; after 3 moves, it somehow got lost in transition. But the name of the poem is still with me: Just For Today. The gist of it was relaxing, being yourself and being true to you (a teenage girl with Type A, remember?) When times were stressing me, I'd remember to read it and think of my dad.

I did a lot of searching online and came up with a popular poem entitled "Just For Today".  I'm not sure that it's 100% verbatim, but it sure is close. In honor of Father's Day, I post this for you ... I hope you all have such wonderful fathers whose actions have stayed with you as well.

Happy Father's Day to your dad, your spouse, your loved one or significant other. Enjoy.


  1. Just for today I will be happy. This assumes what Abraham Lincoln said is true: 'Most folks are about as happy as they make their mind up to be.' Happiness comes from within; it is not a matter of externals.
  2. Just for today I will try to adjust myself to what is; not try to adjust everything to my own desires. I will take my family, my business, and my luck as they come and fit myself to them.
  3. Just for today I will take care of my body. I will exercise it, care for it, nourish it, not abuse or neglect it, so that it will be a perfect machine for my bidding.
  4. Just for today I will try to strengthen my mind. I will learn something useful. I will not be a mental loafer. I will read something that requires effort, thought, and concentration.
  5. Just for today I will exercise my soul in three ways: I will do someone a good turn and not get found out. I will do at least two chores I don't want to do, as William James suggests, just for exercise.
  6. Just for today I will be agreeable. I will look as well as I can, speak diplomatically, act courteously, be liberal with praise, criticize not at all, nor find fault with anything, and not try to regulate or improve anyone.
  7. Just for today I will try to live through this day only, not tackle my whole life problem at once. I can do things for twelve hours that would appall me if I had to keep them up for a lifetime.
  8. Just for today I will have a program. I will write down what I expect to do every hour. I may not follow it exactly, but I will have it. It will eliminate two pests: hurrying and indecision.
  9. Just for today I will have a quiet half hour by myself and relax. In this half hour sometimes I will think of God, so as to get a little more perspective into my life.
  10. Just for today I will be unafraid. Particularly, I will be unafraid to be happy; to enjoy what is beautiful; to love; and to believe that those I love, love me.

No comments:

Post a Comment