Saturday, May 21, 2011

"That's disgusting ..."

My middle daughter has been so disrespectful lately. It seems that every time I serve her any type of food, I get some type of complaint. Either "ewww", "awwww" or "that's disgusting" is what she'll tell me when I bring her food over.

 It's been going on for a good week or two, and I've warned her. And this morning, we had it.  She asked for strawberries for a snack. As we were getting in the car, she got her baggie of strawberries - cut and washed ... and guess who was not happy? Actually it was her - but as a result, neither was I.

She didn't get her strawberries, and she didn't get anything else for the next two hours until lunchtime. At the grocery store, she wasn't allowed to have any of the snacks that were out for sampling. I felt horrible; she kept saying she was starving. But each time I reminded her that she should not disrespect the food that she is served. A woman in the store over heard our conversation and gave me the thumbs up. And I still feel strongly about what I did. Now the question is - will she remember this in the future? Or will she still complain?

And when it comes to you - how do you handle food complaints?  I know I'm not the only lucky one to encounter them!

1 comment:

  1. On a couple of occasions when Ryan (who is 7) would do this, I pulled up "starving children" or "third world countries" on YouTube and made him observe. It does indeed show him how fortunate he really is to have all the food he gets offered (even though he won't admit it!). So, when he does complain about what's on his plate, I softly remind him of those children that are not as fortunate. Since he has watched the videos, he even wants to go volunteer to help the homeless, hungry, etc.!

    ReplyDelete